Monday, September 26, 2016

Napoleon's Last Battles -- Campaign, Summer to Fall '16 -- The Trap Closes and Fin

My French made it thus far and no further.

I knew Blucher was wandering around to my right rear and had thought to reshape my lines to better protect their exposed right.  I also knew that Blucher was the only commander out that way so assumed it would be at least one more turn before MB could snap the trap shut.

I was wrong.


This is the aftermath of a 12 SP loss that also felled Marechal Grouchy.  It was preventable, but I desperately wanted VI Corps (which sustained these losses)  to stay in the game for as long as was possible.

Over on the left, I eliminated the forces of the Netherlands and the Brunswickers entirely, but there was no practical way for me to make up the points lost on the right.  A most gentlemanly concession promptly follows.

Lessons learned?

This game is about "pushing" rather than killing.  There just aren't enough killing results on the CRT to make direct fights worth the trouble.  Throw into the mix the dreaded exchanges and you've a recipe for cautious advance.

The most effective way to kill units in this system is to ZoC eliminate them.  I blame the fact that I've been playing the John Tiller Napoleonic games with ZoC elimination off for so long for my having forgotten this basic principle until it was far too late.

I know not what course others may take, but, as for me, D'Erlon and I Corps have to march like a rifle shot to cut off the Prussians at Ligny.  They will then either die of a lack of supply or have to fall back quickly.  I should have seen this sooner and taken advantage.

Overall, I'm looking forward to my next chance to play.  Even if this round, as I had to concede to HL, has me headed off to St. Helena.

Vive L'Empereur!


No comments:

Post a Comment