Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Napoleon's Last Battles Campaign -- Summer 2016 -- 11

Now realizing that I'll have to start calling this Fall 2016, the rain and night turns spanning June 17-18 have now ended.  For those unfamiliar, in this system, rain and night prohibit both sides from doing anything but moving.  Units may not enter one EZsoCs and, as a result, may not initiative combat.

MB took this opportunity to drive her Prussians on the straightest possible route to Wellington's left.  She also did an adroit job of using ZsoC to block any attempt at my falling on her rear and disrupting her lines of a supply.  Combine this with HL's careful withdrawal northward and one gets a battle line drawn well south of Mt. St. Jean.  To wit:





On the plus side of things, I finally managed to take advantage of a 6:1 on my left, destroying a brigade of Netherlands' cavalry and infantry.  This, couple with Perponcher's untimely demise the day prior, makes HL's right all the more tenuous.



On my right, however, especially near Ligny (yeah, I know, I should have been long gone), there is just some sort of weird ahistorical buggery going on.  During the night, MB maneuvered a small group of Prussian cavalry around to my right, in my mind threatening my dodgy supply lines on that flank.  In the end, though, it was a demonstration and I over-committed troops I am going to want elsewhere.  With morning come, she's kept the better part of a division in the area, doing her level best to keep them from joining the "A" fight to the West.  We're going to have to swing well wide to avoid her.  I can't believe she'll want to pursue much further, but one never knows.



And, finally, I played RISK! for the first time in an age, and for the first time with HL.  MB has long loathed it, referring to it unaffectionately as "making change with (by turns) soldiers, hobbits, robots, Daleks, &c." depending on the re-imagining of it.  I was wooed by the new edition's cover art (although French heavies attacking Crimean-era gunners is a little weird) and the promise of the Secret Mission system to prevent the game from lasting six days short of forever.  It succeeded admirably in this, but it remains RISK! and, as a consequence, continues to receive a "Nope" on MB's scale of "Sure" - "OK" - "Nope".






No comments:

Post a Comment