Sunday, July 14, 2019

And a Good Time Was Had By All...Except Some French Foot

Doug and I got back to our game of Aspern-Essling using Tabletop Simulator and Blucher.  I ahould like to think my rules penance did some good as I do not think we mussed up too much.  I, on the other hand, have utterly bollixed up my French.

The thing about Blucher that is not obvious when you first open the tin is that corps structure really does matter.  The good professor goes so far as to point out in his F.A.Q. that he does not like rules that require corps to maintain divisional integrity, that he considered many of them, but eventually rejected any as unnecessarily cumbersome.  As a result, divisions can park themselves fairly well wherever they like.  So far so good.  The problem becomes when one is trying to activate all of those dispersed divisions.  Suddenly you have to wait until corps moves are over, each move costs two MO points not one, and you have to check to see whether you have burned through your MO points after each brigade is moved.  This has turned the space between Aspern and Essling and the Danube into a disorganized French parking lot.  Among other things, the Guard is parked what seems like 100 miles away from the action.

Napoleon would be very cross with me.

Still, at the moment, we have a one morale point lead and we ended the last turn of the session with one of my cuirassiers riding forward and smashing an Austrian brigade.  That is something of which His Majesty would have approved.

And, of course, the video:


1 comment:

  1. I was impressed by that cavalry charge. The earlier charge by the somewhat blown cuirassiers was appropriately repulsed. This charge, by fresh Guard heavies was a different matter indeed. I'm pleased to find rules that seem to handle cavalry so well.

    It will be interesting to see how it gets less effective as the fatigue goes up.

    ReplyDelete