Friday, July 29, 2016

Omdurman -- Historical Scenario -- Yeah, Like It Says On The Tin

The rule book warned me that the historical scenario for "Remember Gordon!" was a slaughter for the Anglo-Egyptians (actually, they're the slaughter-ers and the Mahdists are the slaughter-ees).  I ran my Mahdists straight at the zariba built on the banks of the Nile and the truth of the matter sank in quickly.

Very few of the Mahdists have rifles and you cannot melee across the zariba so, especially for the savage Hadendowa, my major advantage is taken away.  Add to this the fact that defensive fire comes before offensive and that HL's improved gunboats and Maxim guns may fire twice each player turn -- four times each game turn -- and the recipe for ugliness is clear.

This is the field at the end of turn one. Note the conspicuous absence of an entire horde of camelry:


Where'd they and Sheikh Yakub go, you may ask?  Well, the dead pile, of course.


I figure we'll run another turn, just to let my rifle-armed troops to take a crack at him, and then try the Khartoum mini-scenario.

Oh, and HL's dead pile?  One disrupted Maxim gun.  One.

No comments:

Post a Comment