Saturday, July 30, 2016

Battle of Omdurman -- Historical -- The Better Part of Valor

 So this right here is my idea of grabbing HL's Anglo-Egyptians by the belt.  With each unit weighing in at 400-700 troops, that's a sizeable mass of men under which I've buried the zariba.  The problem is that, like a dusty Eye of Sauron, any place the A-E's want to turn their gaze, they can unleash an amount of firepower that makes mock of any stack of Mahdists.  "Remember Gordon!" uses a very elegant firepower system that has only a few modifiers and what I'm sure was for the time an unusual ten-sided die to resolve combat.  A-E fire typically doubles or, in the base of artillery, triples at close ranges.  It doesn't take much to reduce my lads to a red mist. 

I took the shot below to demonstrate that Osman Digna was not afraid to close with the last of the Fuzzy-Wuzzies.

I ran one more A-E turn (top of turn three of the four allowed by the game) just to see how much damage my rifled troops might manage to pull off.  As matters turned out, I snuffed out five to  HL's 100+ leading, under the knowing victory conditions, to an A-E Tactical Victory.  I might have pressed matters to see if I could reduce that to marginal, but we're both ready to try the Fall of Khartoum mini-scenario and the formal, allegedly more balanced, campaign game.




No comments:

Post a Comment