Sunday, July 24, 2016

In the lulls between "Napoleon's Last Battles" turns, I've decided to set up a game of a later era and far less well known, "Remember Gordon!".  A product of Phoenix Games (now, I presume, defunct) it depicts the battle of Omdurman and, as a little aside, a mini-game of the fall of Khartoum under Maj. Gen . Charles "Chinese" Gordon.  The former is broken up into a campaign game intended to be more balanced and to give the Mahdist player a shot at victory.  I, however, want to study the game's approach to the historical battle -- as the campaign notes indicate a Mahdist wipeout -- so I've taken control of their armies and given the Anglo-Egyptian force under Kitchener (yes, that Kitchener) to His Lordship.

Hard not to love this.


The Anglo-Egyptians are, mostly, "pinned" behind a zariba up against the banks of the Nile.  In this shot, everybody not on the river belongs to me.


And, if I read the rules correctly, HL has me right where he wants me.  The units on the river are gunboats possessing either guns or, if the newer models, guns and Maxims.  Oh, I should mention, only the red units to the left of this shot and the line of green units in the center rear are armed with rifles.  Everyone else is sword and spear.  For those that know the era, the Hadendowa, Kipling's "Fuzzy-Wuzzies", are the small group of white units to the left and Churchill with the 21st Lancers is buried behind the zariba at the bottom.


No comments:

Post a Comment