Monday, July 8, 2019

Time for Some "Blucher" Confessions

Considering it is the most viewed video we have posted from the Saturday Night Fights (by a distance), I am a bit put out with myself for not getting back to "Blucher" generally and the Aspern-Essling game with my friend Doug (panzerde) in particular.

Here is the video of the first part of the first day:


That many viewers is a very fine thing, but it did prompt a fair number of game play corrections.  Which, although they leave me a bit shame-faced given the relative simplicity of the rules, I still take to be a good thing.  So, in the present confessional spirit (and anticipating part three this weekend), I proffer the following list of rules we either messed up or seem obscure enough to warrant posting this way.  As was the case with "Black Powder 2", I would certainly welcome mentions of rules you forget, foul up, think are really important, &c.

In More-or-Less Turn Sequence Order

N.B.:  I know that Tabletop Simulator does not quite pivot the units correctly.  Yes, this messes the rules up a bit, but it cannot be helped and I do not think it makes that big a difference.

*Corps activations must involve two units.

*Garrisoning an urban area requires activation.

*Simple Move: Pivot first, then move in a straight line through non-rough terrain

*Difficult Move:  Pivot either first or last but move in a straight line otherwise

*Charges may pass through difficult terrain

*The center line of a charging unit must pass through some portion of the unit being charged for the charge to be valid.

*Roads only matter in reserve movement.  This is a weird one for me, but I get it.

*Artillery need only fire at the nearest eligible target if it is within 2BW.

*Firepower and Skirmish abilities do not apply against cavalry or artillery.

*Artillery may shoot into urban areas, although at a penalty.  Infantry may not.

*Probably the biggest:  Infantry that fights cavalry (attacking or defending) and is not broken, drives off the cavalry whether the infantry wins or loses.

*Retreat is conducted through the rear base edge but not necessarily straight backwards.  Cf. the importance of making the retreat route as short as is possible.

Well, that was more than I expected when I started.

Here's looking forward to Saturday night and a return to Lobau Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment