Sunday, October 30, 2016

Do Not Judge Me!

My son, to whom I have given a pseudonym on-line for all the usual reasons, is very indulgent of my hobby.  He's become very good at Memoir '44 and its derivatives and recently gave me quite a game of Jena 20.

That said, he's been after me for a while to wander to his side of the proverbial field.  And, so, yeah, this happened...


He's been odd-and-ending his deck since Origins but I decided to buy a pre-constructed deck from the discount bin at a local Walgreens.  I'd never played the game before and was surprised how simple it is.  I suppose that's the demographic it's aiming at, but, again, my son is well advanced past the complexity level here.  If only there were a way to figure out monetizing the different derivations of French troops, we might have something.  "Dad, look here, I got the First Regiment of Marine Artillery!!"  Well, a fellow can hope.


In fairness, the pre-built deck didn't feel gimped at all.  This was something I was a bit surprised at as it seemed to play against the fierce monetization of the product.  Once this bad boy was powered up (three fire energy, don't you know), my son had very little to stop him.  I shudder to think, though,  what the huddled masses at Origins and GenCon would do to me.  I've dipped my toe into the YouTube and forum "best build" recommendations and have learned that the devotion to building a "best deck" is nothing short of Talmudic.

Twenty-five years after launch, I will confess I didn't hate the game and would play it again -- if only to make my son happy while I quietly set up 1806: Rossbach Avenged behind him

No comments:

Post a Comment